July 8, 2017 - 8:35 AM CDST

Once again I find myself miserably obese. I'm angry because I've allowed myself to gain back 35 pounds of the 75 I had lost. That's almost HALF of the loss I worked so hard to achieve.

This blog is for me mostly, but if you read it and it helps you with your struggle to achieve a healthy weight; that will make me happy too.

After having been obese my entire life, in 2011 I decided "enough is enough," and decided to do something about it. I joined TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly).  What a great organization!  I lost 72 pounds in one year and was nearly to my goal.  I wish I knew how to get back to that mindset --nothing came between me and my goals.   I set small goals for myself and rewarded me when I met them.

Being a visual learner, I made little things to look at. I made a big poster of a thermometer and marked off the pounds as I lost them. The poster hung in my kitchen where I could see it always. I had two wine glasses marked "To Lose" and "Lost.". The "To Lose" glass was filled with 75 colored glass stones (number of pounds I wanted to lose).  Each pound lost caused me to move a glass stone to the "Lost" glass. Those sat in my kitchen window over my sink.

And I did it!  I kept most of the weight off for five years. Then I let life get in the way of taking care of myself. Losing weight (or any other big lifestyle change) requires a big amount of selfishness.  You have to concentrate almost totally on yourself. If you don't, or can't, you're in big trouble. I'm not making excuses when I say this, I am proof positive it's true. Well, it is true for me. No need to go into my personal life issues, but they are no longer there and I'm going to get back on track.

So I'm going to refill my glass with the stones. This time only 40 of them. I'm going to make a new poster. And, I'm going to add one other item.  I'm going to crochet one granny square for every pound lost. I'll have enough for a very nice afghan when I'm done if I crochet one for each of the pounds previously lost and kept off. I've already chosen my colors and will purchase yarn today.

I'm going to count calories and hope to lose between 1 and 2 pounds/week. I used to walk for exercise, and I walked EVERY day!  I will be adding that back as I feel better.

So I start my renewal at 190.3 pounds, with a goal weight of 150 pounds. I will report on struggles and achievements daily.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comments